Compass Box has named James Saxon as its new Whisky Maker to succeed John Glaser. I'll be interviewing James a week from Tuesday if you have any questions you'd like to pass along... --------------------------------- Independent Scotch Whiskymakers, Compass Box, today announce the exciting evolution of their Whiskymaking team, appointing James Saxon as the brand’s new Whiskymaking Director. James Saxon joined Compass Box in 2019, and quickly showcased his talent, co-creating Rogues’ Banquet with brand founder John Glaser, which won Gold at the International Spirits Challenge Awards in 2020 and best non-age-statement Blended Scotch at the World Whisky Awards in the same year. Since then, Saxon has led the creation and recipe development for fan favorites like Flaming Heart 2022, No Name, No. 3, Vellichor, and the Extinct Blends Quartet, to name a few. Whisky Advocate awarded 95 points to Ultramarine, the first expression in the Extinct Blends Quartet – the highest scoring whisky in its 2022 Winter Buying Guide, describing Saxon’s blending as “simply stunning.” “I first met James Saxon at a Whisky Society tasting in St Andrews in 2011. Little did I know that eight years later I would be hiring James to join Compass Box!” says John Glaser. “His creativity and sensibility for whiskymaking in the Compass Box way have become bedrock for us. It’s no surprise then, that I now pass the whiskymaking torch to James, with the confident belief that he will continue to show the world what’s possible with Scotch whisky.” The new appointment signals a new generation of Whiskymaking. “It started with a glass of Asyla in April 2011,” says Saxon. “From that first sip, I became a committed fan of Compass Box and John Glaser’s mission to show the world what can be achieved through blending. It has been a pleasure and an education to work alongside John since 2019. To now be stepping into the role of Whiskymaking Director for Compass Box is tremendously exciting; I could not be more proud to play such an influential role for this extraordinary brand, to collaborate with our marvellously creative team, and to further the work of expanding the global whisky conversation.” CEO Maurice Doyle says of the move: “James has long been creating exceptional whiskies for Compass Box and over the past five years has cemented himself as a real Whiskymaking talent. James is the perfect person to take on this new role – safeguarding the recipes that we all know and love, whilst pushing the boundaries of what is possible in Scotch, something that has been central to the brand’s ethos since the beginning.” This planned appointment takes effect immediately.

Posted by Mark at 2024-03-08 21:11:56 UTC