I had a great pub crawl around Dublin today. Here are some blogs and website notes I copied when selecting each of the pubs. Toners is another of the best pubs in Dublin City Centre. And the weathered snug here will knock you sideways (if, like me, you’ve a weird obsession with that kind of thing). Toners was established several hundred years ago, in 1818, and it has managed to retain its old-world charm beautifully. The snug at Toners is fully enclosed, offers private access to the bar and has a heap of old-school memorabilia and decor to keep you amused while you sip. Over the years, it attracted literary heavyweights like Kavanagh and Yeats. Snugs aside, Toners is also home to one of the best beer gardens in Dublin! Neary’s, a UNESCO City of Literature Bar, has a long connection to the arts, thanks to its proximity to the Gaiety Theatre. In 1871 the doors of the Gaiety opened and its stage door was conveniently directly opposite the rear entrance to Neary’s. Nearly all of the Neary’s original features remain intact, like as the gas lamps (still in working condition) at the entrance and the bars many ornate features. The bar staff are decked out in shirts with Dickie Bows and there’s many a secluded corner to tuck yourself away in (the pick of the bunch is on the left inside the door). The Long Hall is another of the most famous pubs in Dublin. Licensed since 1766, the Long Hall is one of Dublin’s oldest and most visually impressive pubs, both inside and out. The interior, which dates from 1881, has the same Victorian-era vibe as the magnificent Crown Liquor Saloon in Belfast, and it feels more like a Victorian shrine than it does a pub. It’s cosy, beautiful and the service is nothing short of magnificent, which may be partly due to the fact that several of the pub’s long-standing barmen have been there for 35+ years. Voted one of the best pubs in Dublin by several publications, The Stag’s Head dates way back to 1780. The interior is what you’d expect from a Victorian-era pub (it was redesigned in 1895). There are several different areas to nurse a pint at the Stag’s Head, but none come close to the section right as you come through its doors (on the right above). It can be near impossible to nab a seat here, but try all the same! If you rock up on a sunny day, you’ll find people sitting and standing in the beer garden out front. The story behind Dublin’s Oval Bar is impressive. In the years that led up to 1916, the Oval became a haunt for members of the Irish Citizen Army and the Irish Volunteers. On Easter Monday 1916, the Irish Volunteers captured the General Post Office (GPO) and proclaimed the Irish Republic. The week that followed brought devastation and destruction to the city of Dublin and the Oval. On the Wednesday, the HMS Helga II sailed up the River Liffey and shelled Liberty Hall and the GPO. A blazing inferno engulfed the city centre, with many buildings, including the Oval, left destroyed. The pub’s owner, John Egan, set about rebuilding the pub and it was able to re-open its doors for business in 1922. Just in time for the civil war… although it shut its doors the building remained unharmed. Ireland’s Best Cocktail Bar Staunchly Irish and fiercely independent, we at BAR 1661 have two things on our mind. To introduce the world to poitín, and lift Irish cocktail culture to fresh heights the atmosphere at Bonobo– the weird-old-religious-books-and-jazz-records aesthetic is something I am very much here for, and the different areas of the bar each have a slightly different vibe Bonobo always has a range of styles on tap (often a fair few sours of late), with the likes of Trouble, Kinnegar and Third Barrel representing the Irish contingent, and plenty of Spanish (as in actually from Spain, unlike Madri) and Scandinavian options most of the time as well. Established in 1833, John Kavanagh’s is one of the more unique pubs Dublin has to offer, and you’ll find it in Glasnevin. I’ve been here twice now and the only thing that outshined the quality of the pint was the service – the bar staff chatted to us like we’d been drinking there for 50 years. You’ll commonly hear this pub referred to as ‘The Gravediggers’. The pub picked up this nickname because it’s, quite literally, built into the wall of Glasnevin Cemetery. The interior is beautifully preserved and there’s no music/TVs, so it’s a great spot for a chat. The fact that it pours some of the best Guinness in Dublin is the icing on the cake. Tyrone Cotie he/him Vice President, Treasury and Investor Relations Office: 1-902-873-5641 Mobile: 1-902-497-2598 tyrone.cotie@chorusaviation.com View my profile on www.linkedin.com/in/tyronecotie ________________________________________

Posted by tyrone.cotie at 2024-01-27 20:20:17 UTC